Friday, July 14, 2023

Lunar Lander (video game genre)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Lander_(video_game_genre)

This is still playable on one of my Arcade1ups despite a malfunctioning screen.  (I am looking into getting a replacement screen.)

Before the 1979 arcade game came out, I had seen a text-only BASIC version of the game and may have even written one myself.


Around 1979 to 1980, when I was a high school senior, a buddy of mine named Richard and I loved playing Space Wars (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Wars) against each other.   In 1980, he signed up to go into the Navy for six years, so we made a pact that after he got out of the Navy he and I would get together and play Space Wars again.

It is my understanding that most of either Lunar Lander or Space Wars arcade games were converted to Asteroid machines which were much more profitable.

Richard and I lost touch with each other.  There was almost no hope of us getting together to play a game that didn't exist anymore.   However, he now lives down the street from me.  I'm thinking of inviting him to see my home "arcade".



No comments:

Post a Comment