Friday, August 7, 2020

Frustrated

Craig:

I am really really frustrated

I think I'm studying and learning more and it's like I play worse and worse.

I think I'm studying and learning more and it's like I play worse and worse.

John:
It is a common complaint. I don't seem to have this problem. I have a friend who thinks that studying tactics makes him worse. My attitude is that I try to master the easy stuff trying to make that as automatic as possible. Someone once said that to be "extraordinary" you have to do "extra ordinary" stuff. It is like the pro who practices layups hundreds of times. The 1, 2, 3 move problems on my website I have done at least 200 times over the last 25 years. Same for the slightly more advanced 1000 problems on the Shredder App. I have rehearsed basic endings just so that I can do them without much thought.

Craig:

I think I'm studying and learning more and it's like I play worse and worse.

John:

Slow and steady wins the race.

You have a plan that you follow consistently, not that this is always possible since human existence is difficult, but I really focus on mastering the "fundamentals".

Best wishes,

John Coffey

No comments:

Post a Comment