Friday, July 24, 2020

Power outage

An equipment failure caused the power to go out in part of Columbus, Indiana last night. I was in the middle of a chess game online with a friend from Indianapolis when the power went out at 6:45 PM. Within 5 minutes I got a text from the power company saying that the power was out and that it was estimated to be fixed by 9:30 PM.

It is a weird feeling because I couldn't do hardly anything. My only access to the world was my iPhone. I couldn't cook anything so I ate chips with salsa. I took a short drive because I was curious about how extensive the power outage was. It seemed to affect a large area. The local radio station was not broadcasting.

Then I did yard work until it was close to dark.

It gets more creepy when things get dark. You feel helpless. I took a shower using a LED flashlight as my only source of light. My thermostat, which has a battery, showed that my house had warmed by 3 degrees. At 9:30 PM I got another text from the power company saying that the estimated time of completion was now 11:30 PM. I was worried that if this were out to go all night that my large stockpile of food in my fridge would go bad.

Fortunately, at 11:01 PM the power came back on. There have been other power outages in the past, but they didn't last more than an hour.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment