Saturday, September 28, 2024

1982 Chess Program


@john2001plus
3 hours ago (edited)
I am an Expert level chess player.  In 1982 I was not as highly rated, maybe low class B.  

The dedicated chess computers in the 1970s started with a 4 MHZ Z80, but were extremely weak mostly due to poor programming.  The Spectrum uses a 3.58 Mhz Z80.

In the 1980s dedicated chess computers switched to the 6502 processor which can do 8-bit operations twice as fast as a Z80, starting at 2 Mhz and working up from there.  In 1982 they were still not very impressive but were getting better.   They didn't become competitive with me until 1983 running at 3 MHZ, and I think the Fidelity brand was using some variation of the Sargon program.  

Sometime in 1984, there was a breakthrough with the 4 Mhz 6502 Novag Super Constellation (programmed by Dave Kittinger who would later do the Chessmaster 2000 and 3000 PC programs) which was ranked at the same low-Expert level that I am now.  It played better than me even though I had moved up to low Class A in early 1985.

Sometime around 1986, I entered a contest from a British Spectrum magazine where if you could solve a chess problem printed in the magazine you would be entered to win the latest and greatest Spectrum chess program.   I sent a postcard to England to enter the contest, and months later I got a tape of the game in the mail.  I was able to beat the program.  (I had purchased a Spectrum ROM cartridge to be able to play Spectrum games.)


No comments:

Post a Comment