Monday, October 12, 2020

Don't overdo exercise.

Maybe because I am overweight and older, but I have frequently run into problems with joint pain from exercise. I had intense pain in my knees that was caused by a treadmill. (My doctor told me that treadmills have more bounce and are bad for knees.) I walked so much that I got plantar fasciitis in my foot, which can be really painful. I had an accidental injury to my shoulder, which is permanently damaged and caused an unbelievable amount of pain, but I think that over-using weight machines at the gym also contributed to this.

My advice is to not overdo it. I knew a person who claimed that he suffered from arthritis when he was older because of all the intense exercise he did when he was younger.

My suggestion is to only increase your exercise regimen very slowly. For example, if I were going to the gym and doing weights, I would do 10 reps this week followed by 11 reps next week and 12 the week after that. Eventually, I would reach a point where I would feel like I am overdoing it and back off a little.

--
Best wishes,

John Coffey

http://www.entertainmentjourney.com

No comments:

Post a Comment