Friday, November 3, 2017

Intermittent fasting

A friend introduced me to an idea called "Intermittent Fasting." There are different kinds of intermittent fasting, but the easiest is one where all your meals are contained within an 8 hour window. Actually I am using a 9 hour window which is fine. Even a 10 hour window is okay, but maybe not as effective.

To do this, I skip breakfast, eat a good lunch somewhere between noon and one, and the last thing I eat is around 9 PM. That's later than most people, but I keep a pretty late schedule.

I still count calories to the best that I am able. I figured out a long time ago roughly how many calories I need to maintain my body weight, and if I eat slightly less than that then I lose weight slowly without going hungry.

Anyhow, using the 9 hour window seems to be more effective, and I am losing weight, although somewhat slowly.

The point of intermittent fasting is to have more time in the day when your body is not producing insulin. Insulin is the fat storage hormone, and gets secreted pretty much after you eat anything, but especially carbohydrates.  When your body is not producing insulin, that signals your body to use up your fat storage.

--

No comments:

Post a Comment