Friday, April 5, 2024

Columbus Commons Mall



I very much miss the Columbus Commons Mall in downtown Columbus. In the early history of Columbus, many shops were concentrated in the southwest corner of the city, but this would change as businesses moved to the major roads. Most of this mall has been remodeled to be offices for Cummins Engine Company. A small part remains as a public space.

The mall was built when I was around age 12 or 13. For me, it was a great place to explore. I mostly liked the arcade, but I also liked the bookstore, the ice cream shop, and the hamburger place. In the mid-70s there were vendors selling treats, like popcorn and baked goods. There was also an electronics store that I liked and I became friendly with one of the employees.

Columbus opened a new mall on 25th Street, but that failed and is now being remodeled into some sort of recreation center combined with medical offices.

No comments:

Post a Comment