Tuesday, March 5, 2024

ReviewTechUSA


ReviewTechUSA
8 hours ago
I think gonna make a video on being an old as ass gamer and seeing how much the industry has changed over my lifetime, and how lost it is now. Would you watch it?



@john2001plus
8 hours ago
You are not old. I am going on 64.  I started gaming as a teenager in the 1970's with coin-operated mechanical games and moving on to Pong and other early video games.  Eventually, I would become a video game programmer.


Highlighted reply

@bedtimestories1065
17 minutes ago
Dude you're like a legend. I'm 23 and a software developer myself. I don't know how you guys did it "back in the day" with no internet for assistance. Mad respect for you man.


Reply

@john2001plus
0 seconds ago
 @bedtimestories1065  My first real video game was called Diamond Mike in 1985 for the Timex Sinclair 2068 computer.  There are videos of it here on YouTube.  My problem is that I didn't have any development tools.  So I wrote a Z80 Assember in BASIC which was very slow.  I sped it up a little by writing a string search routine in machine code, but the program was a two-pass assembler that would still take six hours to assemble my game.  I was working a Data Entry job, living in my parent's apartment, and trying to write the game in my bedroom.  So roughly every eight hours I would test the game, make a change, and start the assembly process over again.

The following year I would write the same game for the Atari ST.  This time I had development tools with a C compiler that also supported assembly code.

After working a few years as a database programmer, I got a job as a video game programmer with Sculptured Software in Utah in 1993.  We had real development tools, but most of the work was in assembly language.  In 1999 I went to work for Xantera writing Gameboy Color games using Z80 assembly again.



No comments:

Post a Comment