Sunday, September 13, 2020

This is what a Mensa IQ test looks like

I find IQ test questions interesting.  In particular, I got fascinated by #8 in this video.  She doesn't give the answer, but I figured out the pattern by doing the square of 63 in my head.

https://youtu.be/h36cpwlslHk?t=152

I have one problem with some of these questions ...

Imagine if you had two pairs of numbers like so ...

Five is to six as 10 is to ____?     Well, by one rule you would have 11 as an answer, but by another rule, you would have 12 as an answer.   If you have just a number problem then they would most likely make it unambiguous, but I feel like some geometric shape problems can be confusing because I'm not sure which rule to use.  For example, in one problem she had to base things off of the geometric center, which I did not think to do.   In another problem, she seemed to go backward, like 1 is to 2 as 4 is to 3.   In a completely different test, they had shapes arranged in 3 by 3 grid, so I wasn't sure if I was supposed to look at these shapes horizontally or vertically.  Again, I wasn't sure which rule to use.

In the above video, I was confused by #7.  The problem is like this ...

1, 0, -1, 0.  What is the next logical number?  

I am guessing that the four numbers are the cosine of 0, 90, 180, and 270 degrees respectively.  Then the next number is the cosine of 360 degrees, which is 1.

However, they might be looking for something completely different.  What if these are two pairs of grid coordinates?  What if there is some other pattern I am missing?

No comments:

Post a Comment